Friday, May 21, 2010

Invitation to Nature

It is the twelfth hour before this event, but it is the first chance I've had to invite folks.  Tomorrow from about 10 to about 2 at Looney Preserve, you are invited to join some of who are getting together to think about some things about nature.  We are tossing out ideas about what would be included if there were in the  Greenway of the Cherokee Ozarks, stretching from I-40 to 412 and surrounds.

Looney Preserve is between Colcord and Jay on SH10, I think.  Well, you'll see some balloons or streamers and maybe a sign referring to The Nature Conservancy.  It cuts back hard to the South, so look carefully if you are coming from the South.  Go down that road and you will find it.

Here is a story about how I found it the first time.  I was coming home from a Court appearance in Jay.  Storm clouds blew up and it began a torrential rain, as I was driving SH10 going South back toward Tahlequah that morning.  Beside the road was a haggard-looking man with a big burlap bag.  I thought he must have been picking up cans.  The weather was severe, and I gave him a ride.  I told him I'd take him home, and he directed me to the Looney's house.  He said he'd been a journalist or publisher and for some reason I think it must have been of a local paper.  He was about my age... or within ten years either way.  It wasn't that far, but by the time we arrived there, the rain had subsided and it was humid and sunny-- one of those sudden Spring freshets that pass thru.  He invited me in to meet his parents.  I was fascinated with the beauty of their modest place, with bird feeders hanging from the trees and went in.  His mother and father were there-- quite old and it seems spry, in a light-filled sunny room, reading or piddling around.

They were the Looneys.  I later learned that they were reputed conservationists, but it was obvious by the way they took care of the birds.  This fellow told his parents that he was out picking mushrooms and had gotten caught in the thunderstorm and I'd brought him home.  He told me about a cool cave there, and asked if I'd care to see it.  That day, the rain had made a place impassable and I was in courtroom attire:  a suit and leather shoes but didn't mind getting my feet wet although we couldn't go in.  On the ground he picked up an arrowhead and gave it to.  He said he had knapped it and had left it there on the trail for finding.  I thought that was kinda cool.

Before long, I had to get back on my way home.  Maybe I spent an hour there altogether.  When I got back to my office, I joked that I had been waylaid by mushrooms which kidnapped me and took me thru a time warp.  But my law partner, Mary Barksdale, and our secretary/paralegal was accustomed to me ambling off the career path on some unplanned adventure such as this from time to time.  I had only wet shoes to corraborate my adventure.  I always had happy thoughts about that special natural place where like-minded people lived, that I had met in an unlikely way.

Here is a note about Mr. Looney's passing  from 2005:
Murray L. Looney
July 20, 1914 - May 29, 2005

Murray L. Looney was born July 20, 1914 and Died May 29, 2005.  That just states 'when' he lived, not how he lived. Murray was a gentle man. He is one of the founding members of the Central Oklahoma Grotto and was an excellent caver. He was the equipment manager for the group and would rework a carbide lamp for you if you managed to mangle yours into inoperability -- with a smile and an eye twinkle.


Not that he couldn't get a bit irritated at times of supreme human dumbness, but then who wouldn't? Murray was husband to Mary Looney, who preceded him in death in 1989, and stepfather to Nick -- also gone now (1999) -- and Joe. I've asked Joe to write up a piece for the newsletter, so I'll not step on personal toes and wait for his erudite words.


Personally, Mary and Murray greeted John and me with open arms in 1973. We were relative neophytes to caving and absolute greenies to Oklahoma caving. Our interest matched their passion and we stuck with the COG family quite happily. Murray managed all the grotto equipment, while Mary managed the people and FOOD! It was Oklahoma Caving at its best.


Always thin, Murray would be one who could slither through the cracks and is, I believe, only one of two people ever to have made it out the Texas Entrance of Nescatunga Cave. This is something no one wishes to do. There is nothing nice about that passage --  it just had to be mapped and Murray was half of the two-person mapping team. And, just so you know, Mary was NOT the other half!


The graveside funeral service was held at Row Cemetery, just north of Colcord in Delaware County, Oklahoma. Joe Looney spoke of Murray's life and accomplishments and the group then regrouped at the Farm for reminiscences and repast. The Farm is the retirement property (paraphrased) that was Mary and Murray's dream retirement home which they shared together for 10 retirement years before Mary's death. The cave resurgence is in the front 'yard' and the water from the cave flows all year round providing  a blissful murmur. The two-bedroom home is well maintained ...and will become a nature cabin for conservation groups, available by reservation -- soon. Submitted by Sue Bozeman

So on Saturday May 22nd come if you can, and perhaps it will also prove to be a magical experience as it was for me in 1985 or 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment