Friday, December 10, 2010

Lil Cherokee Stars Quilt

Little Cherokee Stars quilt is one of my most unusual quilts.  It has the feel of an informal Gees Bend or Outsider quilt because it has very little intentional framing.  I made it using the san blas style of underlayment applique, with informal Cherokee 7-point stars going up the middle.  And the copper and gold fabrics are vintage 1960s shirting fabric-- the kind that looks copper from one direction and green if you look at it from another direction.  It has been spoken-for and will go to a member of the Oklahoma Food Cooperative.  It also has a lot of hand-dyed fabric which I made early in my learning journey.  I practiced for years on recycled sheets before ever aspiring to use new fabric.  When I finally took the big step, I was amazed at how pure, rich and deep the colors now were.  I learned from it that after many washings, fabric fibers take up a lot of chemicals like soap and bleach, which keep the dyes from bonding uniformly, smoothly on every little molecule, and this you get a fainter tiedye when recycling.  The two iris panels are hand dyed by a couple of tiedye and hand painting artists in Australia who do gorgeous fat quarters... which are ever so slightly not the same size as American fat quarters.  They use a light grade of muslin.  I can only imagine what beautiful work they could do if they actually used fine cottons.

No comments:

Post a Comment