Thursday, April 29, 2010

Cedar Apple Rust Fungus Scarf

 


Cedar Apple Rust Fungus Scarf

For some reason, this picture refuses to permit itself to be centered.  Maybe it is because the scarf comes from way off in left field.  I mentioned to The Oklahoma Forage Ahead Yahoo Group that I was using natural dyes, and moderator (and forage guru) Jackie Dill wondered if it would be possible to use those bright neon orange "starballs" of cedar-apple rust fungus for dyeing.  I'd never considered it, although I have a funny story about hunting for dyeing mushrooms.... so I'll digress:
One day Dennis and I were going to split the yard-mowing chore.  He did his half and turned the mower over to me.  I had only made one sweep of mowing down the hill when I ran across some interesting-looking mushrooms under the peach tree, so I stopped mowing and started getting them ready to see if they were dye mushrooms.  It turns out that they yielded a pale golden dye when extracted with 100-proof  grain alcohol.  I got so distracted that at the end of that day, my mower was still down in the far end of the yard and I never went back to it.  He now kids me about that.

Anyway, on Saturday it happened to be perfect weather for gathering cedar-apple rust fungus, and I had plenty on some little cedar trees that had popped up in my former garden spot, so I made up a batch of dye and this interesting scarf is the result.  It has a parchment or marbled look, and is made of sheer habotai silk.

It was set with alum and heat, so I think the color will be permanent... but it is my first such experiment thus I can't guarantee it to be color fast after extended periods in bright light or harsh detergent.  Best to just hand wash gently and dry it on a towel.  (It was machine washed thoroughly to remove any traces of the original material--- although I'm sure the vodka did its magic in sterilizing it, also.  

This scarf will be listed for purchase with Oklahoma Food Co-op in the May order cycle, $18.  If you'd like to buy it for Mother's Day, email ktibbits@lrec.org and I'll take it off listing and send it to you.

















No comments:

Post a Comment