Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Experimental Cherokee Quilt

 
Experimental Cherokee Quilt
by Kathy Tibbits 
I'm sharing this quilt in my personal collection.  It was originally intended for a quilt show, but I didn't have time to quilt it.  Since then, I've applied it as a back to a kitschy crazy quilt, simply batted with an old fuzzy nylon blanket like we used to use for electric blankets.  Like that, it could never be a serious entry into a quilt show.  (It is now outsider art.    )

It is made of sixteen fat quarter panels, each individually hand-dyed by me and discharge dyed.  I interpreted a Cherokee dance on each panel.   I like the way some panels are like rippling water, and others are like sky or night sky. It looks all wrinkley and rough because it gets hard service here at the Island Retreat all of the time!

You're invited to become a follower of my blog and get an email each day with a trailer line to let you know if you'd like to read the day's post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment