Sunday, February 28, 2010

How to Lose Weight

For years now, I have been wishing to lose 35 pounds.  This would put me at a respectable body mass index and restore my age-appropriate  weight.  I did lose that much under doctor supervision about 8 years ago, but then I gave up flextime for a more standard 8 to 5 schedule, and shifted to less-creative work that kept me pinned down to a desk daily.  Writing, editing, photographing and interviewing on my own production schedule was a better 'fit' for healthy eating habits.  More recently, desk work has been instrumental in creating a big soft natural pillow on my rump.

I could take a lesson from my daughter.  Her husband is a personal trainer and she has taken off 15 pounds residual to her pregnancy and December delivery just in the past two weeks.  She does it by restricting caloric intake and following a muscle-mass building regimen.  So, she's actually losing more than the scales show, since muscle outweighs the fat that it rubs and washes away.

I do best when I can recreate.  Usually at best my recreation is aerobic housecleaning, but best I love hiking, kayaking and playing music.  Each morning I weigh myself and write it down. My weight fluctuates and one can almost detect the day after a double dip ice cream cone, bedtime popcorn or a heavy dinner.  Snacking 5 meals a day is my style, but I cook formal meals now and it has taken its toll, adding 5 pounds every year since I married my darlin' meat-and-potatoes kinda guy.

I'll make this a monthly report to force myself to do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment