Monday, February 15, 2010

Hopscotch Quilt Top


In Summer after 2nd grade, my mother was a college student at Northeastern State College.  (Today it is Northeastern State University).  There, I attended a Summer School program, the students of which were mostly comprised of the children of professors and the children of students.  My mistake-- I traised my hand when they asked which students were third graders because that is what I was going to be.  Apparently, that got me into the class of students who would be moving along to fourth grade.  For a couple of days I attended in the older classroom, and then realized I was in with the older kids, so the teachers moved me back to my age mates.

That was the summer that I learned to play hopscotch.  We'd draw boxes on the sidewalk of the Old Bagley Building at NSU, and hop as many squares inside the lines as we could.

This is a quilt top I named Hopscotch.  See the alternating footpath?  Our hopscotch grid was never this simple or regular.  This top features a good bit of fun hand-dyed cotton fabric.  Imagine that each square is sort of a full-color rohrschach test.  I see one that looks like Earth, Cherry Fudge Sundae, Stormclouds, Looking Into Water.  I make up names for the tiedyed and hand-dyed panels and strips that I create.  It helps me to keep them straight about what might go where when I am quilting.

(This small quilt top is for sale $75 as-is.  If someone would like to buy it fully-finished, the price would be $350 to include a choice of batting, backing, thread color,  machine quilt pattern (or freehand) and shipping.)

No comments:

Post a Comment